Pantry Challenge!!!

How about it?? Anyone game for a pantry challenge? It's easy, before you head to the grocery store, shop your freezer, refrigerator and cabinets to see what you can use up. For the first 3 weeks I try to only buy milk, butter and bread, since I usually have an abundance of canned fruits and veggies on hand. If you don't have chickens you may need to buy eggs  :-p    Make a family game out of this, let the kids pick some can goodies from the cabinet, find some meat in the freezer and go from there.


Feel free to post here and let us know how it's going for you, ask for hints and tips on how to go about doing your pantry challenge. I for one sometimes need some help using up those odd cans of black beans, pinto beans and mole sauce that I bought for some odd reason....lol.

This is a great money saver to start the new year out. I think about many of my readers that are saving to adopt and homeschool moms that are eeking out a tight budget. I hope that this post will be a blessing to your household.

What kind of weird things do you have in your cabinet, freezer or refrigerator that need used up? Use things up before they go bad. Get creative and see what interesting things you can make.

Have a wonderful week!
Moe

4 comments:

  1. Hi Moe,

    If you go to http://allrecipes.com/Search/Ingredients.aspx you can put in ingredients you have and see recipes using those ingredients. Then decide what sounds good.

    I recently imported all my Word documents into Google Documents. I can do a word search on an ingredient I want to use up and it will take me to my own recipes using those ingredients. Because I love organizing and reorganizing, I want to redo my recipes so that each recipe is a document that can be in different collections (I call them folders or tags, but Google Documents calls them collections). But I don't have to have this done in order to see recipes. I recommend taking a look at this. I've looked at lots of different recipe organization ideas that cost money. This is free and is easier than anything else I've seen.

    Here's my favorite frugal recipe, created to use things I had in my freezer before moving.

    Spanish Eggs

    I was just using up leftovers and adding things from the freezer, but this turned out great!

    Saute in hot grapeseed oil:
    green bell pepper, chopped
    shredded carrot
    sliced onions

    Add:
    eggs (can use mostly whites if desired)

    Cover pan with lid for 1-2 minutes or until eggs are about half-done.

    Add around the outside of the pan:
    cooked Spanish rice (rice made with canned chopped tomatoes or tomato juice or watered down tomato sauce instead of water and homemade taco seasoning)

    Taco Seasoning Packet

    1 C. chili powder
    ½ C. cumin
    ¼ C. garlic
    ¼ C. onion powder
    ¼ C. oregano

    Store in airtight container. Use 2 -3 T. (We like 2 T.) and ½ C. water per pound of browned and drained hamburger. Simmer for 10 minutes.

    I look forward to getting some great ideas from others here.

    Ann H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have jarred cherries, graham crackers crumbs and sugar in the pantry, butter, eggs and cream cheese in the fridge so I am thinking an easy cheesecake! but I suppose if it has to be a main meal I have chips in the pantry and nacho makings in the fridge..... I play clean out the pantry at least once every two weeks. you would think I would be a pro at it by now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I thought it said Party Challenge! Ha ha. I just copied many recipes to google docs too. I discovered healthy recipes that I forgot. so I am inspired to try new recipes this week. My mom gave us a food basket. I cooked pasta, shredded the smoked salmon, and added olive oil to the italian seasoning mix, put all in a serving bowl and it tasted good. Crackers and breadsticks will be lunch time snacks. Jelly for sandwiches. Not sure what to do with the green olives??? We are not olives fans. Maybe give to a friend. I bought milk and bananas at store today. I'll see if we can last until weekend when I will definitely need fruits and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have all given us some great ideas!! Thank you so much!!
    Moe

    ReplyDelete

Older Posts

What are your kids watching on YouTube?

Thanks to Focus On The Family you can learn more about what your kids may be watching on YouTube.  Plugged In  has reviews of some of the mo...

Most Popular Posts