What is a Workbox?


Now that back to school is in full swing for most of us. I get asked questions about how I handle homeschool organization. Well here goes. WORKBOXES!! Love the idea but I refused to pay the high prices for the actual Workbox system. So off to Hobby Lobby I went with 40% off coupons in hand. I bought these bins and they have worked well for us for a few years. And so why change a good thing! Plus having a small home it works great in keeping clutter down and things in their place.
I used my Cricut machine to label each drawer. I like to have about 6 weeks of material ready to go (I know in a dream world that always happens....lol). Things are in a disarray around here right now as we started school and then our son's birthfamily came to visit for 5 days, so we had vacation time from school. I'm needing to get a planning day together and get organized.

Each drawer in my workbox system contains what is needed for each subject. That way things are NOT strewn about the house. (I'm learning a lot of things from reading the Too Much Stuff book by Kathryn Porter). Once Science is done, it goes back in the science drawer or math, it goes right back in the math drawer. If I'm sick or I have to be gone for the day, it's all right there. No comments like "I can't find my history book." "I can't find my math test." It's all right there in the drawer. The 3 middle size drawers to the left of my Workbox system contain flashcards & class games, craft supplies are in the 2 bottom ones. The smaller set of drawers to the left of those contain packages of pens, pencils, markers, sticky notes (anyone else have an obsession with sticky notes? I lol........I have like 10 million pads of those crazy things!).

So that my friends is my Workbox system. Works for us and we love it! Share what works for you!
Have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend!
Moe

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how such a thing could work for large families with different age groups unless: a) you had a tower of workboxes like that for each child, or b) you had folders within each workbox for each kid. I have tried something similar where I label each workbox per child, and within it, have folders with photocopied worksheets/workbooks for them to do, labeled "week 1", "week 2", etc. Going more and more over to Charlotte Mason's method and Ambleside Online, there are fewer and fewer worksheets, however, so the few we have DO work well in a workbox situation. Thanks for sharing and posting the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.boyschooling.blogspot.com/ Thanks for the comment, Hope my readers would head over and check out the pictures of your school room. I only wish I had that large of a room. I also enjoyed reading about your boys and copy work.....LOL.....deep puddles of tears around here from that in the past. I finally gave up and said forget it, lets not major on it, yet I asked that the best work be done. And it really turned things around, our son now gets many compliments on his handwriting. I think I was stressing over it and that caused him to stress over it. Moe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this. Good idea, but I agree that it would need modification for more than one child. I love stackable drawers, though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talena,
      I think that stackable drawers are addictive! lol......I have them in all shapes and sizes..lol. I use them for the kitchen, scrapbook room and homeschool room.

      Moe

      Delete
  4. I found at walmart, the 10 pocket filefolder that hangs down on the wall. I labled each pocket for each subjects, the child then can pull what he wants to work on. He really enjoys this, I don't put test in, I put a sheet that says quiz/ test, this way he can study for it. He has actually picked up his pace as he can see what is to be done. This was around $10.

    ReplyDelete

Older Posts

What are your kids watching on YouTube?

Thanks to Focus On The Family you can learn more about what your kids may be watching on YouTube.  Plugged In  has reviews of some of the mo...

Most Popular Posts